One thing is clear about cheese. Even though it is one of our everyday foods it is also very much a product of indulgence. We like our cheese to taste good, and everyone has their own favourite. BASIX has helped cheese producers use vegetable fats in cheese for more than 10 years, and the focus has always been good taste. There are two main reasons as to why vegetable fat is used in cheese. The first is to improve the nutritional value of the cheese, by including more polyunsaturated fatty acids or other functional lipids. The second is to cut raw material costs, by replacing the more expensive milk fat. Over the years BASIX has worked with a wide variety of cheese types
• Semi-hard cheese, such as Gouda, Emmentaler, Cheddar and Tilsiter
• Soft cheese, such as Brie and Camembert
• Processed cheese – in the form of slices, blocks and spreads
• Feta type as well as mozzarella and other pasta filata types
• Fresh cheese
BASIXs speciality fat for cheese production is the BUTTERIX FAT.
BASIX present a product range of Dairy Fat Alternatives which is an assortment of high quality vegetable fat products, with specific characteristics to fulfil the requirements of the various dairy applications. They can be used as complement or as replacers to milk fat.
With BASIX DFA products the same quality of the finished product can be reached as when milk fat is used.
The main possibilities of our DFAs are
• Improved nutritional profile
• Reduced raw material cost
• No or very small investment is needed – the existing dairy equipment can be used
• New product properties can be introduced
From a nutritional point of view, vegetable oils usually contain less saturated fatty acids and of course more unsaturated fatty acids compared to milk fat. They also minimize the amount of cholesterol in the product. BASIX DFA products are designed to satisfy both the nutritional aspects and the functional properties of a fat for dairy application.